Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Words from a Mahogany Mom

A few months ago, a wonderful sister-friend suggested I write a blog (you remember that Syb?) well, it’s taken a few additional months to think about it, pray on it and visualize a commitment to monthly blogging but I've decided to commit myself to writing a blog with the aim of reaching out to other African American moms.

The past few years of my life have been amazing, but they’ve also been marked with their share of ups and downs, drama, legal woes and day-to-day moments of frustration and uncertainty. While many women (regardless of color) can relate to bits and pieces of my story, I think that my life is worth sharing because I bring a unique perspective to motherhood; I’m a stepmother to two boys who have different mothers, I’m an adopted women who found both biological parents, and am a educator with a history of teaching at HBCUs.

I know the blogosphere is filled with words of wisdom from those who are self-proclaimed experts in everything from blogs about knitting to those offering a political voice.  My goal is simple; to share a piece of myself that will help other women, make them laugh, give them the freedom to take off the super-girl cape from time to time and most importantly to provide a forum where women don’t have to be afraid to embrace their lived experiences.

Stay tuned for more from this Mahogany Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment