Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Mitten Tree

Every since Black Friday, I’ve been in the holiday spirit.  I like going out in the wee hours of the morning (even though I rarely purchase anything) just to people-watch.  It’s amazing to see the strategic game faces, the lack of patience, frustration, excitement and anxiety.  Emotions that result from the desire to purchase the ‘perfect gift’ that will probably have a 24 hour lifespan, be thrown in a closet or re-gifted.
One face (or the faces) that we never get to see are those made brighter when we drop a toy in the Toys for Tots Box at a local retailer or take a mitten off a Mitten Tree in a mall, on campus, at church or drug store.  I don’t think I’ve passed up a mitten tree this season.  I took a mitten from Wal-Mart and purchased a doll, I clipped mittens to the tree in the lobby at Del Tech, I took several mittens from the tree at church (so that each of the kids could give a gift), and I took toys to this month’s sorority meeting for the annual holiday party. 
Each time I’ve taken a mitten, I’ve stared blankly at the tree wondering what that particular family would do on Christmas morning had it not been for the respective organizations and their willingness to solicit gifts, especially during a season in which many are facing financial hardships themselves.  I wonder how the family member felt when asked to write down what they wanted for Christmas (on one tree there were nothing but necessities listed on the mittens…diapers, bottles, gloves, socks and underwear; no toys at all).  I even thought about those individuals who would probably work tirelessly to wrap and deliver all the gifts, knowing all too well that when it comes to the hard work of a true community servant, sometimes you are in the trenches alone.

I reflected on the fact that this seasons, whether it be through Delta Sigma Theta, student organizations on campus which I advise, church or pageantry, that I seem to have more opportunities than ever to serve and to give back.  Which lead me to another thought; what happens when this season has come and gone?  What happens when there are no more mitten trees?  Will those individuals who are so thought about during Christmas fade away until it is once again time to hang tinsel and adorn another tree with mittens?
I am so thankful for all that I have and all that I am able to give, but I’m most humbled at the fact that I carry a mitten tree in my heart year-round. 



Take a mitten or two
Make a holiday wish come true.

Bake an extra batch of cookies
One for home and one to share.

Tip the postal worker and the trash guy
Just to show them that you care.

Take a mitten or two
And warm someone else’s heart.

Be a secret angel
As Christ did on the cross.

Take a mitten or two
But don’t just share this month.

Make a commitment to give all year long
And continually share love and warmth.


Merry CHRISTmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment