Saturday, March 10, 2012

Springing Forward

As the seasons change, are you ready to change? That's one thing I often think about four times of year but in the past my energies were focused on cleaning out closets, scrubbing floor boards, rearranging, etc. However, as time has passed I have grown to understand and embrace the spiritual metaphor and scripture references that focus on the 'need' for change as the seasons come and go.

I can recall a time in my life in which dating became so emotionally draining that I was overcome with depression. In the process of trying to get refocused on life, as it were, I was told by a church friend that I needed a season...a season away from dating; a season for myself.

At another point in my life when my parents took ill, I remember being overwhelmed with caregiver responsibilities. I was angry at the fact that the burden was falling on my shoulders. I was responsible for dispensing medication, bathing, cooking and cleaning and even getting my mother to and from adult daycare. I joined a support group for caregiver and was told that it would take a season; a season to purge the anger and pain, a season to heal; a season to learn how to be a good caregiver.

Our move to Delaware was not as smooth as I wanted it to be because I had not secured a job at the time. I was still commuting back and forth to DC to work. Each week I would come home and it seemed as if I didn't have time to relax and enjoy my family or home. I was so unhappy with my 'life situation' that I began to let this affect my marriage. I went to church and talked to my pastor about my frustration and she gave me a book entitled Don’t Die in the Winter…Your season is Coming (Dr. Millicent Thompson). I read that book in a few days and it was in that moment when I truly got what it meant to take a 'season' when life seems to offer you more than you can bear. Having a clear understanding of spiritual seasons is important as we grow (and yes, no matter how old we are, there is still room to grow).  We can’t rush what God has planned for us each season (although we often try to by doing things in our way) or else we risk missing the blessing.  The reality is that sometimes, it may take more than one season for us to accomplish life’s goals but the true test is whether we are willing to hang on to those goals until we accomplish them.


As we spring forward, ask yourself what you need to do this season so that you can be renewed in mind, body and spirit. Don't just 'clean house' this spring, but commit yourself to a cleansing of the negative energy, thoughts and in some cases, the people that may be dragging you down.  Prepare your  heart and mind, because your season is coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment